Before becoming a farmer, I used to buy the cheapest “organic” chicken I could find in the stores.
I thought that all chicken was mostly the same and that I was going a step above to insure it was healthy by choosing organic.
I could not have been more wrong!
Did you know that when chickens are raised on pasture, the composition of their meat and eggs changes dramatically?
As I began to research, I was blown away by the difference in pasture-raised chicken as compared to grocery store chicken (even with a “free-range” or “organic” label)
The benefit of pasture-raised chicken is threefold:
1) Healthy Chickens- They get to live a happy, healthy life, the way nature intended.
2) Healthy Us- Eating pasture-raised chicken has AMAZING benefits for your body.
3) Healthy Earth- The soil and ecosystem improve greatly from the impact that the chickens have on the pasture.
Allow me to go into a little more detail…
Our pasture-raised chickens enjoy their life!
Unlike “free-range, organic” chickens (who are raised in gigantic warehouses), our chickens live outside in the fresh air, forging, and basking in the sunshine.
That means they are able to eat the natural diet a chicken would eat in the wild.
This consists of insects, earthworms, clovers, grasses and seeds.
And guess what?
All those nutrients go into their meat!
This has a HUGE impact on the nutrient density of their meat and provides a wealth of health benefits to our body when we consume it.
Which leads me to the next health benefit…
What if I told you that you could get more vitamins, more antioxidants, and more incredible health benefits JUST by switching your chicken?
Well you can!
Our chicken is more than just a protein source.
It’s a nutrient powerhouse!
Compared to standard “free-range, organic” chicken, pasture-raised chicken is:
- 3x’s higher in omega-3’s- known to have anti-inflammatory properties, support heart health and brain function, and play a protective role in cancer and other conditions.
- 50% higher in vitamins and minerals- Vitamins like A and D which support your immune system, vision, and building strong bones.
- Higher in antioxidants like Vitamin E- supports healthy skin (prevents/minimizes wrinkles, scars, Eczema, Psoriasis)
- Higher amounts of amino acids- known for energy production, fat metabolism, muscle growth and repair, digestive health and more.
- 6x higher in glutathione. Many people take glutathione in supplement form to reduce inflammation, increase energy, and aid in detoxification among many other benefits.
How incredible is that?
Think of all the good it would do for your body to JUST switch to pasture-raised chicken.
It truly provides innate healing power.
Last, but not least…
Now don’t get squeamish here…
When chickens are healthy on the inside, what comes out the back end is every bit as healthy, for the soil that is.
That’s right… manure!
Chicken manure is incredible for amending the soil as it increases fertility, water holding capacity and adds beneficial microorganisms back into the land.
The grass that grows back, after the chickens have grazed an area, is far more lush and darker green than the surrounding grasses because it’s loaded with fertility.
But why does this matter?
Because the healthier these plants are, the more carbon they take out of the air and put back into the soil where it can be used as a food source for billions of organisms.
Plus, this nutrient dense pasture then feeds our cows and provides food and habitat for the native wildlife.
From butterflies, to bees, to blackbirds, swallows, fox and deer- These animals are all essential to the overall health of the land.
It is our job as stewards of the land to manage these living systems. They provide balance and help the ecosystem to function optimally.
When people neglect this intricate connection, the quality of our land, our animals, and our own health degrades.
When we mimic creation by caring for the animals and the land the way nature intended, that is when we produce the best possible food that is both HEALing to our bodies and to the earth.
THANK YOU for reading this.
It is my hope that more people recognize the healing power of food.
It can make all the difference in the way you feel throughout the day and live the rest of your life.
Make a conscious choice to prioritize your health and the health of our land by embracing pasture-raised chicken.
Take the first step toward a healthier lifestyle by heading over to our website today and get yourself some HEALing chicken!